Saturday, October 17, 2009

For those who don't believe...

Author: Richard
Comment:
You may make any assumption that you wish. Your perception of
truth is not my perception of truth. You perceive the situation
from one view point and I perceive the situation from another.
My experience is not based on 'an assumption'.

But people have made assumptions about me all my life. In fact
twenty years of assumptions because they did not actually take
the time to ask or listen. They assumpted that I was
'retarded' because I had ataxic cerebral palsy. People today
still assume that I am 'retarded' - strangers in the street -because I do not
fit into their picture of normality.

Well in actual fact I have proved the establishment wrong. So
if they were wrong about me then the likelihood is that were
wrong about other children.

The difference between us is not about being rational or irrational. The
difference between us is about being open minded or closed minded.

Is it rational - to deny children and adults the means by which to
communicate because 'a few research studies' failed to produce
sufficient answers. You consider this rational? Even though
many people now type independently. It seems very irrational to me. You feel it
is rational to deny human beings equality on
grounds of disability. Sounds very much irrational to me.

And that does not foister an identity on to a person. To 'foist'
something on to someone is to 'inflict something unwanted on to
them' or to palm off something inferior on to them.

Segregation has been foisted on to countless children; an inferior education
has been foisted on to countless children. Inequality has been foisted on to
countless children. Social injustice has been foisted on to countless children.
Disability labels have been foisted on to countless children.

And are we talking about recent research here or are we talking
about research that is how many years old? Like I stated much
the same as the case for ME - people were closed minded and
would not listen and now the case has been proven.

Richard

3 comments:

usethebrains godgiveyou said...

http://www.youtube.com/user/theaacjournalist?feature=watch

usethebrains godgiveyou said...

http://www.csamuel.org/2012/03/15/facilitated-communication

usethebrains godgiveyou said...

http://blog.donnawilliams.net/2007/06/30/an-interview-with-autistic-fc-pioneer-and-author-richard-attfield/